Drive Wiser is committed to ensuring that your information is secure. Drive Wiser will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless you have given your permission or we are required to do so by law.
Drive Wiser will handle all information responsibly and fairly in accordance with UK Data Protection legislation and best practice guidelines. We will only store your information for as long as legally required for the purposes of providing your insurance policy. Your personal information means any information we hold about you or any information you give us about anyone else.
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU), the Data Controller will be Be Wiser Insurance Services Ltd.
It is important that you read the following information carefully so that you fully understand who can access and use the information you have provided, together with the data collected by the device and the purposes for which it will be used. This should be read in conjunction with the information contained in your policy documents.
Some of the personal information that we ask you to provide is known as 'sensitive personal data'. This will include information relating to health issues, age and any criminal convictions. We need to use sensitive personal data to arrange and manage your policy and to provide the services described in your policy documents.
By purchasing a Drive Wiser policy you are consenting to your data being used in the way described in the policy documents. You should show these documents to any named driver or prospective named driver.
You have the right to withdraw your consent to our use of the data collected by the device at any time. Where you wish to do so, you are required to notify Drive Wiser at your earliest opportunity. In these circumstances however, the policy will be cancelled subject to a seven day Road Traffic cancellation notice from the date we receive notification of your withdrawal of consent.
If a named driver withdraws consent, the policy will be allowed to continue, however as soon as you are made aware of the named driver's withdrawal of consent you are required to notify Drive Wiser that this named driver must be removed from the policy.
Where you or a named driver has withdrawn consent to Drive Wiser collecting and/or using the data, this does not remove our right to use the data collected up to the point that your notification is received by Drive Wiser.
Access to your information
You have the right to ask Drive Wiser to amend or correct any inaccuracies in the information we hold. You also have the right to request a copy of the data that has been collected during the term of this agreement and is being held about you.
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 you have the right to request a copy of all the personal information we hold about you, or if you have any queries in respect of confidentiality and data protection please write to the Data Protection Officer, Barrett House, Savoy Close, Andover, Hants, SP10 2HZ
Use of your personal data
Drive Wiser will share the information you give us about you, or any additional drivers, with our panel of insurers to source quotes for you prior to purchasing a policy, at renewal, and prior to making any changes. Drive Wiser will share your personal information with your chosen insurer to administer your policy.
Your information will also be shared with other third parties, including credit reference agencies, device and telematics services suppliers, claims services providers and fraud prevention agencies.
Credit checks and fraud prevention
In assessing your application, Drive Wiser and its insurers use a variety of databases to check your identity and also help prevent fraud. Drive Wiser may check your details against records held by credit reference agencies who may keep a record of the search. Drive Wiser may also pass information to credit reference agencies that we hold about you and your payment record; this may be used by other credit lenders for credit decisions, for fraud prevention, money laundering prevention and for tracing debtors.
Drive Wiser will also use information provided to us relating to you, your vehicle, and your previous insurance history that has been provided to us by third parties.
In the event that we are unable to recover outstanding balances relating to your insurance policy Drive Wiser may pass your details on to a third party debt collection agency to collect the outstanding balance on our behalf.
The data collected by the device is transmitted via a Mobile Phone Network in a secure format. By taking out this policy you are consenting to your data being collected by the device and to this data being used by Drive Wiser in the ways outlined below. You must inform anyone that is insured to drive your car that it is fitted with a device that will collect and transmit data about how your car is driven and used. You must advise every driver, named on your certificate of motor insurance, that each journey is recorded and will be visible to you, via your personal online dashboard, and to Drive Wiser.
From the date the device is installed it will collect information including (but not limited to):
- Location of your car; including where kept overnight
- Time spent stationary
- Time of use
- Types of roads used
This information will be used to build up a profile of how, where and when your car is driven. The data collected by the device may be used by Drive Wiser or your insurer for the following purposes:
- To review the information disclosed by you in relation to your policy or any claim, and to identify inconsistencies (Please note that knowingly providing inaccurate information could result in your claim being rejected and/or your policy being cancelled);
- Operational requirements, including the activation, disconnection, updating and testing of your device and any associated software (e.g. during installation or to perform maintenance checks);
- To provide data to your personal online dashboard;
- Processing your personal data for the purpose of providing you with your insurance policy and associated services;
- To contribute towards the calculation and charging of insurance premiums based upon driving behaviours and your car usage by compiling and generating scores;
- To assess your driving behaviours and your car usage together with your previous scores to help determine your future insurance premiums;
- To enable us to contact you regarding the administration of your insurance policy, provide you with reminders, other score related feedback, reward options where available, and/or hints and tips. To do this, we would contact you via email, telephone, text message, or post, however these communications will not take the form of marketing or promotional material;
- To help us or the insurer handle any claim, and reduce fraud, by assisting with the identification, assessment or the investigation of claims made and to provide clarification as to the circumstances of the claim;
- To provide you with any additional optional telematics services that are or may become available, where you agree to these at purchase or during the period of insurance;
- To carry out research and analysis to help Drive Wiser to understand driving behaviours which the insurer will use to develop the underwriting of this product and to assist with the development of similar products; and
- General research and analysis including mapping and refining techniques for analysing the data undertaken by Drive Wiser, or our telematics services provider. In such circumstances the data will be anonymised and will not identify you or your car.
If your insurance policy is cancelled, by you or by us, the device will be de-activated and no further data collected.
Drive Wiser will only disclose data collected by the device to authorities such as the police or courts where we have your permission to do so (or another driver's permission, where the data relates to them), except where we are required to do so by law, when subject to court order or where we suspect fraud or attempted fraud.